Note some portions of this page adapted from content developed by Andy Lewis for the Center for Community & Economic Development, University of Wisconsin-Extension.
- Connecticut First Impressions Summary Program Flyer (PDF)
- Connecticut First Impressions Participant Booklet (Revised 2016- PDF. Also available as printed formatted booklets – contact us to order)
- First Impressions Media Template 10-2017 For communities to get the word out about their participation in the program prior to visit.
- Find an exchange community!
Videos about First Impressions
- 2015 First Impressions Series: http://communities.extension.uconn.edu/firstimpressions/
- First Impressions Video – 90 second video (Produced by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, Canada
- First Impressions Video – 2 minute video (Produced by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, Canada)
- First Impressions Video – 7 minute video (Produced by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, Canada (Copied with permission from Clare Wasteneys, Program Lead, Community Economic Development Unit. This unit will play in Windows Media Player and may take some time to begin playing
- First Impressions Video – 14 minute video (Produced by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, Canada)
- First Impressions Video: “Seeing Success in Rural Alberta Communities” – 8 minutes Video (Produced by Alberta Agriculture)
Completed Community Reports
- Google map showing the location of participating communities.
- The Wisconsin First Impressions website has a long list of completed reports and other resources http://cced.ces.uwex.edu/2012/08/04/first-impressions-program-2/
Adaptations of the First Impressions Program
The notion of using the “secret shopper” approach to evaluating communities has gotten a number of people excited about using this same approach in other settings. Others have chosen to make modifications to the program for use with their own communities.
- Community Assistance Teams: Increasing Community Readiness for Recruitment of Health Care Providers – Dr. Ken Shannon (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dept. of Family Medicine, Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, Morgantown, WV
- Community Connections: A First Impressions Program for Campuses – Steve Kohlstedt, U.W.-Extension Community Educator & James Schneider, Blue Chip Consulting, modified the program to utilize students to evaluate the U.W. campuses at Richland Center & Platteville. Results were shared with the campus in a Powerpoint format.
- Community Swap, University of Illinois Extension
- Designing the Future, Deptartment of Design, Housing, and Apparel, college of Design, University of Minnesota, Sherri Gahring
- Downtowns: Kenosha, Wisconsin & Joliet, Illinois
- First Impressions Community Exchange, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ontario, Canada (The program has been used by over 150 communities in Ontario since it was first shared in 2005).
- First Impressions Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Economic Development Association (SEDA), Saskatchewan, Canada
- First Impressions Community Exchange, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Manitoba, Canada
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Alberta, Canada. See also their YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-5WQ7lbsFY
- First Impressions, Huck Boyd National Institute for Rural Development, Kansas State University
- First Impressions, Greenville, Maine, Roger L. Merchant, Regional Extension Educator, UMaine Cooperative Extension utilized the First Impressions program in a tourism planning class (PRT470) to provide Greenville with an assessment and recommendations for their tourism industry. For a copy of the report and evaluation, click on the appropriate link.
- First Impressions, Mississippi State Community Action Team, Mississippi State University
- Community Development, West Virginia University Extension
- First Impressions, Part of the Municipal Economic Development Toolkit, USAID, LED Ukraine, There is currently a version in English, Ukranian, Spanish and Russian.
- First Impressions, Ohio State University Extension
- Main Street First Impressions Program
- Tourism, West Virginia